Monday, May 26, 2008

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

This morning started with the annual Memorial Day Parade.  It's basically the summer kick-off for the Cleveland suburbs.  Nothing like starting the summer off with a free sugar high.
Here are a few of the kids from our ward.  There were no fights- and no one got trampled in their efforts to get the flying candy.  Impressive.
Here is Dale's little ali in the "we really need a dog" fight.  I won't tell you how many dogs we've had in the past.  Wait!  Yes I will.  Let's see... our marriage started off with our Rottweiler Bosco.  He was dog napped from our yard when he was a puppy.  During that time we got BO- the black lab.  Then, a neighbor returned Bosco to us.  I think maybe he's the one who took him in the first place.  It was all very suspicious.  The least the culprit could have done is train him a little.  So now we have 2 very big dogs, in a very little house.  Bosco soon escaped- and was never seen again.  We then moved to a place that didn't allow dogs- and BO made his home with Dale's parents.  (he is now known as Duke.  Then his moved again and now lives with Dale's brother Mike.  He ate some curtains- and cost Mike a fair amount of money... but I thinks he's happy.)  Then thanks to the first rebate from George Dubya, we bought Leo- the Boxer.  (to date he's our fave breed.)  We had a great house, with a great yard... for about 2 years.  We loved Leo- but he was a casualty of Dale going back to school. We moved into a teeny tiny house that we bought right after we got married.  There wasn't enough room for the 4 of us- let alone giant Leo.  So he went to live with Dale's sister Jen.  He's very happy- although Dale misses him.  Next we have Koda- the long haired chiuwawa. (yes I know I spelled it wrong) He was adorable.  We hated him.  Something was seriously wrong with him.  Every time you called him, he would roll over on his back and pee all over himself.  Lovely.  I wasn't too sad when he ran away.  Last but not least is Milo- the Boston Terrier.  NO BACK YARD!  So when Crew started exhibiting some allergy symptoms- he ended up on Craigs list.  He is now a very happy Steelers fan- living happily in Pittsburgh.  So, no Dale. We will not be getting another dog for a long time.  We need a backyard, and kids that are old enough to take care of him.
Wow.  I got a little side tracked.  Back to the parade.
Here it is folks.  The reason that we didn't buy a house.  The reason taxes in Shaker Heights are so bloody expensive.  I give you- the trash go carts!  These are the little cars that zoom behind your house on trash day- so that you don't have to haul your trash cans to the street.  Really?  Is it that big a deal?  Okay- so some of the taxes go to the nationally ranked schools- but we don't have to drag our trash cans to the road.  This concludes our Memorial day.  I'm sorry if you thought that this was going to get interesting.  It's not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pic of Crew in front of the cop car.
Looks like perfect weather for a parade....wait, no it doesn't.
Your memorial day was more eventful then ours.

Camille said...

We have a great black lab named B.B. We will give her to you. She only ran away twice to the neighbor's house today. They keep brining her back......

Alison Day said...

Wow, that was quite the side note to the parade post Megan! Interesting to hear about your dogs! We had a boxer too that ended up being the "casualty of going back to school." I loved big dogs since that what I grew up with, but now that I have kids, I am enjoying our little non-invasive dog. Clean, easy to bathe, inexpensive to feed, little poops, quite pitter patter of paws in the house, you get the idea. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the parade! I'm surprised we didn't see you! (Oh, you left your calculator at my house! I need to drop it by!)

Harris said...

All of those crazy dog stories make me soooo incredibly nervous. We are getting our first one in July. Should I be rethinking this decision? I am for sure after reading your post!!

Cami said...

HaHa....that was funny. Do you remember our dog Heber? Well he made it to a family that had a fence tall enough to keep him in. Now we have Heber II. We don't call him that...we just liked the name and figured that the kids weren't old enough to remember that we already had a Heber. HaHa

Janae said...

Wow Meghan. I didn't know you had so many dogs. Can I just say I think you are so funny..and I agree..no dogs until you have a back yard.