... We didn't buy the house. It wasn't for lack of effort. The world of student loans and mortgage loans has changed drastically since October. AND now their saying that they may not defer student loans until after residency at all. Yikes. We'll see. The crappy thing is that renting wouldn't save us a dime. In fact- it will cost us more to rent a house than to buy one. Nice. We may be able to still buy one... but it would be little. BUT if we rent a house it would be just as little, and cost us more. BUT if we buy, we have to worry about selling it in 3 years. Rental houses here are few and far between. SOOOOOO- what do we do? Rent or buy???? Seriously. I NEED advice. What would you do, my blogger buddies? H-E-L-P!!! I will be checking my comments A LOT for some super profound advice.
On the plus side- WE MADE SOME FRIENDS! That was fast! I'm working really hard to be friendly, and open, and not my usual closed off self. I did learn a thing or two from Cleveland. :) My poor little blog is suffering this summer. It's amazing how much less I use this computer when I don't have the Internet in my house.
K- let the advice come pouring in. Even if I don't know you... I like you, I know it! I'm waiting...
6 comments:
we're still renting in CA and looking to buy something (and it's a pain, because we can't get a good loan because we don't have 2 years work experience yet) so we can't buy much house either. if you're for sure moving in 3 years it might be safer to rent. 3 years is about the minimum time you need to spend in a house to recoup costs....
anyway...i don't know. I was excited to see pictures of the house you almost bought! it looks nice. everything out here in the Bay Area was built in 1960 or earlier. so fun.
It's a hard question that you present. I would say that buying is generally the best way to go, especially in this market, a buyers market, where the prices are lower and can only really go up over the next three years. However you always risk not being able to sell when you need to and that can by scary. I would say just pray about it and see where you find peace. You will get more for your buck buying and a possible return when you sell, but you just have to be able to sell. At least when you rent you can just walk away when it's all said and done. Good luck and I'm sorry I was absoulutely NO help at all.
I say rent...better to be safe and know you won't be stuck in a house you can't sell...but, I think Amanda has it when she says just to see what you feel good about! GOOD LUCK!!
Hard decision. It is definitely a buyers market though. See if you can get into something really great that you feel good about and if not... rent. A lot can happen in 3 years. I would say BUY! I think we move at least every 2 years by choice. I think it depends on if you can get into something really great that you are pretty sure you can get out of. Good Luck! I usually leave the really hard ones to my husband. HA!!
I say buy. Why throw your money into something that is not yours. Just be picky about what you buy so that you can sell when you are ready.
Buy Baby Buy, won't see prices and interest this low at the same time. Take the time to find a decent house in a good neighborhood then make a lowball offer. Worst case is they counteroffer. Three years from now you may decide to stay, or if you move and can't sell you can rent/lease if you have to. Dale's earning power will have greatly increased and your perspective will be a little different, hopefully. Also consider that mortgage interest is deductible - Uncle Obama I mean Sam helps you buy. Finally, there's just something about having your own Casa on the Mesa with the little banditos running around the yard...
DeLaCruz
Post a Comment