Tuesday, April 20, 2010

THE WHITE BOY

So I work now. I teach preschool tumbling... and beginner tumbling sometimes ... and I supervise children's open gym... and I host birthday parties... and I manage an ebay store for the gym owner... and we weed the gym property... and staring next month we clean the gym... and whatever else comes up. It's good. Really. It's a lot... but it's good. There are about a million worse things that I could be doing. Plus my kids get free lessons, and I get to have Crewzer in one of my classes... SO fun! And the girls help me in several of my classes. I get paid well, and I'm enjoying the atmosphere of the gym. I'm definitely NOT a gym teacher. I was just bailing the gym out of a bad situation. They had a preschool teacher that... well... sucked. They were in a bind, and so was I. I have never been so stressed about money in all of my life. So being stressed about money FAR outweighed my fear of teaching something that I'm not so good at. Turns out- I'm not so bad either. It's working out well. I won't be teaching tumbling next fall, however. I will change over to dance classes this summer. I'm looking forward to being in my comfort zone... and working with an older age group! In the mean time- preschoolers are entertaining to say the least. My class tonight went something like this... no joke.

Gabby: (little black 4 year old) I have a mom. She's on vacation.
me: Oh that sounds like fun. I bet you'll be glad when she gets back.
gabby: Well, no. She's not really on vacation. That's just what they keep telling me. She's in jail.
me: Oh goodness. Well, I'm sure you miss her.
gabby: She got in a car wreck then went to jail. That's when they said she went of vacation but she didn't.
me: Well, it's still okay to miss her.

Later... (Crew is also in this class- he's the only boy)

gabby: Why'd you let that white boy go before me?
me: Well, it was his turn to go first. You went first last time. And let's not call him 'white boy' his name is Crew.
gabby: Yeah but I don't like white boys.
me: Okay Gabby, let's look at some things. Does he have fingers like you?
gabby: yes
me: Does he have eyes like you?
gabby: yes
me: It doesn't matter what color anyone is. We have a lot of things that are the same.
gabby: He's not the same. He doesn't match me.
me: That's good. The world would be really boring if we all matched each other.
gabby: Well I still think he's just a white boy, and I want a dragon fly to get him.
me: We are going to work on being nice to everyone... especially the people that don't match us.
gabby: Alright. I love you.
me: I love you too.

6 comments:

Seriously... said...

holy cow that's funny. very very funny. i can't wait to hear more conversations.

Natalie said...

Wow! You are pretty patient. I probably would have freaked out and not known what to say! I'll bet you are a great teacher!

ang :o) said...

your situation sounds awesome!
wow. that's hilarious. you really handled her well.

katie said...

You- I'm sure , are an awesome teacher! I'd love to send my kids to your class. My "white boy" could join your "white boy"!!

Summer said...

Wow! Just, wow. Great way to handle it! She doesn't seem to mind that you are a white girl. ;)

I'm glad the jobs are working out for you! Why is it that you are poorer during residency than in med school? I have asked myself that so many times the last four years!

Camille said...

I can't stand it. That is so funny. Lexie is the only "white girl" in her gymnastics class too. That's right, in Caldwell!
I love this post.