Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I THINK I BOUGHT A HOUSE ROUND 2

It was about the time that Dale started using the word "fellowship" that I decided that I couldn't possible live in our current house/neighborhood/school district any longer. If, in fact, Dale does do a fellowship, we would spend another 3 or four years here in Temple. Pyper would spend the larger part of her middle school years here... and I'm not okay with the middle school that she would go to. I have hated her elementary school as well- but I figure you can get away with an inferior school/peer group in elementary school. NOT in middle school. I remember middle school. Yikes. I want her to have the best possible chance to have some good friends... she currently has none.
Anywho- I met a realtor in my favorite neighborhood one morning before work. I looked at 3 houses. Two were resales and one was new. They were all the same size and all the same price. ??? Duh. I'll take the new one please. And I did.
Then I sent Dale a text message... "I BOUGHT A HOUSE"
He texted back- "COOL"
So here we are the day before our (my) final walk through. I feel good about it. This time last year I thought we bought a house. It never quite felt right. Too many hoops to jump through. We put in our offer the same week as government changes on student/mortgage loans changed and they wanted us to forgo the 6 months that we were given to not have to pay on our loans to prove that we could forbare for a year. It would have meant thousands of dollars. We couldn't do it. A year later the kinks in the system have all been ironed out- and it was easy this time.
I love this. It's the view out my bedroom window. I especially love the tractor. I feel so very Little House on the Prairie. Yes, I know they are building more houses... but for now I'll enjoy my tractor. This is not our dream house. Not even close. But it's cute, and clean, in a fantastic neighborhood, with a great school district, and a neighborhood pool, and awesome people close by. It's small- maybe 1550 square feet. BUT it has 4 bedrooms! It doesn't have everything we want in a house- but it absolutely has everything we need. AND our mortgage payment is less than our rent payment! Boy are we getting good at moving. We must like it. I have learned a few things- when you buy a house spontaneously without your spouse... said spouse doesn't have much sympathy when you have to pack, and run paper work all over town, and work and take care of 4 kids alone. If I have learned anything this last year it has been Independence. A LOT OF IT. You better believe I'll drive the moving truck and unload it solo if I have to.

P.S. Due to the fact that I was terrified Dale would freak out- I turned into a pretty good negotiator. I got closing costs, wood blinds, a fridge, a microwave, and a moving date in August instead of July so that there was no overlap in money between my rental and my new house. That cost the homebuilder and extra $1,500. Yes. I'm patting myself on the back.

13 comments:

The Cavazos' said...

I lOVE IT can't wait to come see it since I just live so close and all. Are you on the same street as Andrea? I love all the colors. :o) MISS YOU!

Rachel said...

Congrats!! It looks so cute! Living in the right neighborhood is so important with kids. Hope the move goes well solo:) At least your girls are awesome helpers.

Seriously... said...

so fun!!!! very excited for you. and very jealous of the NEW. ours is OLD and we're working FEVERISHLY to make it feel semi-new-ish. Oh well.

Summer said...

The house looks beautiful! Congrats!!!

Dahl Family said...

Congrats! That is very exciting. I'm with you on the whole school thing.

Rachel Holloway said...

That's a pretty funny story! Seriously don't know what my husband would say!!! lol
But congrats on the house--so happy for you--and NEW, who could ask for more?!!? :) You sound like quite the negotiator! :)

Brandon is doing an externship there in October--so maybe he can get some tips from Dale as to what to prepare for... :)

Good luck with the move!

Janelle said...

Congrats! Way to negotiate! I don't think it would be a good idea for me to make a unilateral decision like that without my husband, and I don't think he'd be as cool about it as Dale sounds like he was.

katie said...

You go girl-the house looks adorable.Congrats on a new home

Sandita said...

Waaaahooooo Meg!!!! I'm pretty sure all those great independent things you have done are traits from me....right... = ]

Mary said...

That is so awesome! The house is beautiful. Apparently a lot of schools in Texas stink. My sis lives in Houston and hated theirs. She did home schooling (with five kids, 2 in school), but it didn't last long. Bummer. Anyway, I love the house. It's beautiful. I think the texting is hilarious. You guys are so funny.

Madi said...

My goodness.... Where is it?

Anonymous said...

Omigosh!

Anonymous said...

My name is Madiann and I live in MN right now. You are awesome and I like love your blog! I am nine and I love turquoise and purple!
Love Your Friend Madiann