Monday, June 30, 2008

I'M NOT A DOCTOR?


Are you sure?  Maybe someone should have told me that before I unknowingly gave myself a flesh eating disease.  (on my face of all places!)  Seriously- I have been afflicted with a 'skin condition'.  I have never had any dermatological issues... well, unless you count that pesky melanoma.

Okay so maybe saying the words 'afflicted', and 'flesh eating', are a little extreme.  But I am highly annoyed.  About 2 moths ago, I noticed that under my nose was a little red.  It looked like I had a cold, and had blown my nose a lot.  I put a little hydrocortizone cream on it. Somewhere along the line, I decided that cortizone cream fixes everything.  It seemed to make it slightly less red. Well, Dale has a virtual pharmacy at our house.  (if you ever need a wart removed, or just need a little lytocane (sp?) our house is pretty much one stop shopping.) Anyway- if over the counter cortizone cream is good- then prescription strength cortizone is GREAT.  And guess what?  We happen to have a rather large tube of it in Dale's "supply closet". It seemed to work well.  It wasn't as red, and it didn't hurt.  But it didn't go away either.  So of course, with all my medical "knowledge" I amped up my treatment.  A little heavy duty steroid cream never hurt any one... right?  WRONG.  Apparently my medical training (by medical training I mean being an expert in band aids and neosporin) was about to cause me some major grief.  My slightly red nose- which would have cleared up on it's own, was now a full blown... something.  My brother in law Mike is a P.A. for a really good dermatologist.  After 2 months of my "treatment", I now had sore, itchy, red bumps.  Dale took some pictures and e-mailed them to Mike.  The diagnosis?  Perioral dermatitis.  Definition- sore, itchy, red bumps around the nose and mouth.  The reason people get this (mostly women between the ages of 20-40) is unknown.  But it could possibly be- "the uncritical use and abuse of topical steroid cream.  ie: prescription strength cortizone cream."  NICE.  So now I have to deal with my 'condition' until my antibiotics, and my topical cream clear it up.  It won't go away on it's own.  Man I really made a mess of things.  Plus it's not something that will go away quickly.  4 to 6 weeks (or more) from now, I should be back to normal.  4 to 6 WEEKS!  Yeah.  I think it should be a law that you can't have 2 confidence destroying things at once.  Id rather not be chubby and have a flesh eating disease.  So I'm not a doctor.  Now I know. I guess I'll stick to band aids, and neosporin.  I wonder what else neosporin is good for?

p.s. It's not contagious.  Just thought you should know.  (as if that helps!)

13 comments:

alisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel Holloway said...

EEEEK!!! That totally stinks! I hope it clears up quickly---and on it's own! :)

The Armstrong Family said...

I just decided you should write a column in the newspaper. Your blog is always very entertaining to read, and I am sure I am not the only one who gets a kick out of it. Well hopefully we will see you soon.

Anonymous said...

eeeewwwww! j/k
Where's the pic? Leaving that kind of visual in my head is not making you look so hot. I'm sure it isn't as bad as you made it sound.

I met a little boy today who looks exactly like Crew!! I even showed his mom your blog and she agreed. I told her she should start letting him model.
btw-Luke would be so disappointed in you. He gets extremely angry with me when I diagnose and treat myself.

Janelle said...

I'm not sure what else Neosporin can be used for, but my great-grandmother swore by Vaseline. You know the dad in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and his thing with Windex? She was like that with Vaseline.

The Royce's said...

Hey, I hope you are feeling O.K. Hey I still get the once a month break-out, usually on my nose & usually Sat. night, it's a great look for church! :o)

Stephanie said...

And so why didn't you post the pictures? Story's not real until I see proof. :)

Jess said...

Hey Meghan, I found your blog while blog surfing and I have to tell you that you guys are hilarious! I was laughing out loud.

Brittany Mecham said...

oh i want to see a picture, i used to get a rash under my nose that sounds like this and the doctor said it was just from stress, figures right, anyway i want to see it and see if it looks like mine did. If it does i really feel sorry for you, i hated it and was so embaressed about it :) but hey you're much more friendly to the eye than me anyway so i'm sure you have nothing to worry about!!

Camille said...

Oooohhhh....that is the worst! As far as your comment abt. me keeping up w/comments- I don't- just on your blog 'cuz I love it & you are hilarious and it wierds Jason out that I am in contact w/a former crush....and I have to keep that up, for the sake of my own entertainment.

Seriously... said...

i love reading your blog. so funny. i'll miss watching parker and crew torment everyone in RS. Glad you are having fun in Idaho. Hopefully the next few weeks without your husband will go fast (or is going fast bad? do you have to go back to cleveland at the end of it).

Carrie Anne said...

i hope it clears up soon! i hate face trauma! i hope you are hanging in there with dale gone!

sara said...

Come on now Meghan--you have to post the picture!!! :)