Thursday, January 1, 2009

IT'S 2009! IT'S 2009! IT'S 2009!

We have been looking forward to the "magical" 2009 for SIX YEARS!  Six years ago we packed up and sold our house that we loved.  We said goodbye to a neighborhood and a ward that we loved.  We gave up an actual paycheck, and our "grown-up" life.  We drove to Pocatello so that Dale could attempt school AGAIN.  He had been in and out of college since a serious car wreck in 1995.  He had a bruise on the back of his brain resulting in brain damage, and major short term memory loss.  He was told time after time, by specialist after specialist that college just wasn't in the cards for him anymore.  The next several years for him were pretty frustrating.  He kept trying to go back to school- but he was always met with the same result... blocks of time that he just couldn't remember, and hours of study time not being able to recall any of the information.  In 2002, after several failed attempts to be happy in this job, or that job- we decided it was time to try again.  Our time frame was 6 years.  2 years to finish up generals, and 4 years in the Pharmacy program.  When he didn't get into Pharmacy school- I was pretty sure it was the end of the world.  I didn't get it.  His GPA was great... his memory was almost completely back.  I was crushed.  He was a little lost.  Then a friend who was on his way to Ohio for Podiatry school suggested that he apply the following year.  We were way passed the admission deadline- but he emailed the school to find out what he should work on over the next year, for admission the following year.  They asked for his transcripts.  When they received them, we found out that he was missing a few classes.  The school decided to use some of his other upper division classes in their place.  They said his GPA was high enough that they wanted to interview him... the following week!  A week after that- our house was sold, (a cash offer)  and we were driving across the country to pursue a career that we hadn't even considered 2 1/2 weeks earlier.  CRAZY!  Every tiny step that was made, every decision that seemed insignificant- was absolutely guided.  This was what was suppose to happen all along.  He was never supposed to be a pharmacist.  The funny thing is- he has LOVED school, but he HATED his Pharmacology classes.  So- 2009 is the magic year.  Dale will graduate in May.  If I would have known the HUGE almost unbearable trials that we would be faced with the past 6 years- I wouldn't have done it.  I guess that's why we don't know what's around the corner.  I guess that's why we are asked to have faith.  We're learning. 

4 comments:

Camille said...

I never knew much of you guys' "story." What a good one. I (don't we all?) get so frustrated with things sometimes- this post is reminding me that "all in it's own due time...." Love the Outback pics. So glad my kids are still in the stage to be thrilled with the dollar menu at Wendy's.

Stacy said...

I must be a bad relative because I had no idea that Dale was in a car accident. There really is no excuse for me, but if I had one it would be I didn't know you that long ago. That must of been a huge trial for you both. I don't know how you do it. But I quess you just keep on movin on. We miss you and Happy new year!

Summer said...

Wow! What a story! It's obvious that you guys were supposed to be here!

Cami said...

WOW, has it really been that long??? Blessings...that is what I keep telling myself....Blessings! We just don't know what is around the corner for us.